Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Julian

I was watching Bondi+ last night when, at the end of the programme, Lou shocked Malta with the news that activist and journalist Julian Manduca has passed away. It was just shocking. The last time I felt something similar was when a friend of mine died in 2000. No other way to describe it. It was a truly shocking experience. My body frooze and I suddenly found my heart beat increasing. For a few seconds, possibly verging on minutes I kept staring at the TV screen in total disbelief. The sad news kept bouncing in my head. Did I hear right? How could this have happened? There must be some mistake.
From what I found out this morning many people felt this way. I can understand why. I did not know Julian too well. He was an acquaintance that I got to know through my involvement on environmental issues. Yet although I never got to know him as close as I probably should have, he always struck me as a humble and genuine charming man. He was one of the most inspiring activists I have had the privilege to meet. His non-stop work on environmental issues is nothing short of a great thunderbolt of inspiration that serves as an example of what committed citizens should be all about. No amount of words can ever do justice to the tireless work carried out by Julian. His memory will keep on living in every action taken by us in our attempts to carry on Julian's work. It is our duty to take the torch from Julian's hand and carry it forward. That is how he would have wanted it to be.

Condolences to Julian's wife, Irene and all his family and friends.
Rest in peace Julian.

3 Comments:

Blogger mistoqsija said...

Perhaps Im a lil out of point BUT I just love to read your politically related blogs... and have been missing them lately. Don't just give such topics up coz someone like Stagno suggested likewise. Some actually DO like patrick's arguments.. politically relevant or otherwise constitutes no difference. Opinions cannot be judged on the basis of validity.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Peklectrick said...

Cheers for your message mistoqsija. I certainly haven't given up my political writings. It's just that lately I haven't felt that particular need. I write according to what is going on in my head. They will be back though. All in good time, all in good time. :)

7:11 AM  
Blogger mistoqsija said...

Am looking forward to the good time :D

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home