Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Sandinista

People usually put a funny look on their faces when I tell them that Sandinista is my favourite Clash album. London Calling is the expected answer. While I do agree that London Calling is The Clash's best offering I still prefer Sandinista. The fact that Sandinista was written and recorded in a span of three weeks make it all that more special. It represents a peak in a three week creative process by The Clash. But Sandinista was my favourite before I was aware of the above fact. Then, why, I hear you ask, is all this enthusiasm about a triple album with a lot of filler?

Maybe it is its versatility that draws me to it. The switching of styles. The going from funk to punk to jazz and waltz to dub and reggae and anything in between. It captures The Clash's eclectic essence. Plus, there's also the politics. Sandinista has some great lyrics. Who can forget the image of Marx & Engels in a 7-11? Don't you imagine Marx digging deep in his pocket to find nothing but a pawn shop ticket? What about the world politics class in Washington Bullets? The descriptive haunting lyrics of Let's Go Crazy? The gloom of Rebel Waltz? The straight to the point The Leader, the inspiring One More Time and the frantic Police On my Back? All great songs from a great album which does not take itself too seriously.

Of course the filler makes it less accessible but still I find myself going back to this great album again. Thanks Joe. Thanks Mick, Topper and Paul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home