Monday, April 04, 2005

The Age Of Consent

Last Friday I got hold of George Monbiot's book 'The Age of Consent'. Although I enjoy reading, I'm not the type to be obsessive about it as I can be easily distracted. But this book I couldn't let down. I ended it on Sunday.
That's quite a feat considering I've got other pressing reading priorities at hand, namely a research project for a Diploma, the deadline of which (29th April) keeps haunting me in my dreams (not really). I'm just as relaxed as I was a couple of months ago. Still waiting for the day when it finally hits me really hard in the face and I realise that I have only two days left to finish it.
But anyway, that's not the point. The point I was trying to get to is simple: read this book, now. Especially if you're interested in the Global Justice Movement. This book, although at times a bit opstimistic in its proposals, does just that. It offers proposals. And they're concrete albeit not without flaws. But as the author keeps insisting, anybody who has better ideas should propose them. Criticism without constructive proposals is irrelevant at best and idiotic at worst. It is vividly explained and quite convincing in it's argumentation. It also offers a way of action that the world (meaning its people) can use to change the balance of power. This book should be stuffed in the face of anybody who comments that the Global Justice Movement is just a bunch of idealistic freaks who overdose on utopia. This is the first step to an open debate about concrete alternatives to world structures. Do you want to be involved?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home