Monday, April 11, 2005

John Paul & Barabbas

Anybody who is not in a coma knows that last week has seen the death of the Pope. It's obvious that this man has left an impact on many people around the world, not least in Malta. Images of grieving people have flooded our screens and papers. Malta is no exception. People on the streets, are still talking about the way the Pope affected them and about the greatness of John Paul II. I don't want to go into the merit of whether John Paul was or wasn't a great man, that is up to the interpretation of each individual. What I want to focus on is the reaction of the people.

Pardon my cynicism but I feel uneasy when people conveniently become profoundly religious after the death of a leader. It reminds me of the hysteria in Beatles and Michael Jackson concerts. A type of hysteria in which any criticism of the Pope or his policies become a no-no. And all those who dare are deemed as blasphemous.
It would be interesting to ask all those who suddenly became the holiest of all holy, what they think about our detention centers. What is their opinion? What do they think about those who have to endure life inside them? What do they think about the prisoners? What do they think about the gay community? And what about the junkies? What do they think about the excluded and the emarginated, the downtrodden and the weak? What is their life like when there is no funeral in the Vatican? Is this a genuine commitment to Christ's teaching or a media charade?
According to the bible, Christ made it abundantly clear what a Christian life is all about. In no unclear terms he says:
"I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me water; I was a stranger and you invited me into your homes; naked and you clothed me; sick and in prison and you visited me"
To keep with the Christian frame of reference, will these people be yelling "Barabbas, Barabbas" in a couple of days time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home