Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ghosts of Merton

Three fifth form students were caught stealing exam papers. Allegedly. Of Geography.

I was starting to sarcastically wonder why, when suddenly, as if like a genie, **ppuufff** Robert Merton popped up in my head.

"Oh hi Merton..." I muttered without any hint of enthusiasm whatsoever.
"Not pleased to see me I see" he replied.
"Not really. Was kind of expecting you to pop up actually. You always do"
"Am I that predictable?"
"Not much a matter of predictability as much as it is a case of being spot on" I retorted.
"Anomie and Social Structure' again, is it? You're becoming obsessed Pat"
I stop and think for a couple of seconds before I start my defense,
"I might be Bob. I might be. But irrespective of the bulk of curses sociology students throw at you for adding 'the adaptations' to their 'things to memorise' list, I really think you're right. I mean, why would those fifth formers go to the trouble of stealing the exam paper if not because of the permanent pressue to pass their exams."
I went on:
"Would anybody risk it if exams where not such an important yardstick in a student's life? Would they have done it if learning was emphasized rather than making it past the pass mark?"
"Mmmm. But; but if you've read my magnum opus you'd know I never spoke about exams at school..."
"Like I care! It's still the same principle. It's just a smaller and different context innit?"

But before he could reply to my question he disappeared like that paper from the office. I kept wondering whether Bob was offended by my "like I care" comment or maybe he went about rewriting bits from 'Social Structure and Anomie'...

1 Comments:

Blogger Peklectrick said...

Yes, you're right of course. It could have happened for fun. But the fact that 9 students allegedly bought goes to show that people will do alot to pass. The others could have been motivated by money which is still somewhat relevant to Merton's theory...

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home