Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Lock, Stock

Reading J’accuse’s ‘It’s been emotional’ post got me thinking. It seems like ages since my obsession with that movie started. I can still remember, some time in 1998 I think it was, when a friend of mine, Leon, came raving about this movie that another friend, had just given him after a trip to England.
“He’s exaggerating. As usual” I thought.
But he made me sit through it there and then. He was that impressed with the movie. I, on the other hand, wasn’t. To tell you the truth I couldn’t figure out what the hell was happening. The faces looked pretty much the same to me and I couldn’t grasp that accent.

So not two seconds after Tom vanishes from the screen he asks me what I thought.
“Nothing special” I muttered.
“Rate it” he retorted after pulling one hell of a weird expression.
“Maybe an 8” I said unconvincingly, after some thinking.
“And how many 8 out of 10 movies have you seen recently, eh?”
The gentleman had a point and it ended there.

Until I watched it the second time that is. It must have been at our rehearsal place. Back then, when we were the equivalent of bums, we had the habit of killing time (along with brain cells, livers and lungs) by watching films at the garage. The complex storyline was starting to make more sense.
“This is truly a great movie!” I thought. But this was just the appreciation phase. The obsession would only begin once I got it on video and watched it for the third time. KABOOM! It felt like something out of a comic book. Light came out of the TV set and I became the Lock, Stock guy.
From then on the streets of Paceville would be tormented on a weekly basis by the drunken citations of entire conversations from the movie. To all the victims, I apologise. I can now understand why you hate the movie.
I was even watching the movie when the rest of the planet was celebrating the coming of the new millennium.
“New Year’s Eve 1999, what were you doing Pat?”
“Watching Lock, Stock mate!”

Now hold on a minute. This isn’t as nerdy as it sounds. I was unable to go out due to a sodding ear infection. I would not have passed on an occasion to party my backside off. But once locked, stuck and barred from going out, there wasn’t any questions as to what I will be doing that night.
Anyways, eventually Snatch came out and it was good. Not as good, obviously. Too Holywood. Something my friends who watched Lock, Stock after Snatch could never understand or appreciate. And that was it. Eventually the obsession started to dwindle and I am now an ex-Lock, Stock obsessive. Of course, this does not mean that you can watch the movie with me without hearing the dialogue in bad surround…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home