Thursday, March 02, 2006

Reggae 'n' Blues

- Six strings and the truth is what you need to play the reggae 'n' blues.
That's Peklectrick for you. I find both genres absolutely fascinating. Not least because they're both very expressive and feel soul authentic. Dats a muusik camin' fram tha roots mon! It tha swingin soun of tha soul mon! Enough with the Jamaican patois already. What's cool about RnB (reggae 'n' blues) is that apart from the afore mentioned perks you have the added bonus of being able to add the words 'reggae', 'dub' and 'blues' to any song title and make it sound that little bit more interesting. For example, a song called 'Tortellini' would simply suck sausages. A song called 'Tortellini reggae' on the other hand, becomes intriguing. Much like: 'Fruit and Vegetable Dub', 'Reggae inna Office' and 'The blogosphere blues' for example. They sound quite catchy, don't you think?
You know, I must admit that my exploration of blues is still in it's infancy. I've been into reggae for at least 7 years now and that chopped skanking still gets me pogoing like an infantile buffoon. The blues, on the other hand, is a taste I'm still in the process of acquiring. In small doses of course. I'm not the type of person to go out and try to explore a whole genre in a couple of days. I like to get to know the artists well before I move on to the next food stand. Quality over quantity I guess. At the moment I'm exploring the playing of Albert King. God that sound pretentious! Exploring the playing of Albert King are we? Wooooooo!
"Oh, I say, we are grand, aren't we? (imitating posh accent) 'Oh, oh, no more buttered scones for me, mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'. 'Pardon me while I explore Albert King's playing.'
- see the Flying Lessons sketch in episode 16 of this.
What I meant was that I'll be ripping off some of Albert King's licks and passing them off as my own to impress my girlfriend. You gotta admire my honesty eh? It's the least you can do if you can't hear my playing. Pretentious git.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home